Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Reviewing sections

I just wanted to let everyone know how I am doing the section reviews for the lessons in the book. I bought small white boards from Office Depot that came with dry erase markers and erasers. I read the question aloud for the students, including any choices, and have them write their answer on their white boards. When everyone is ready, they hold up their boards. I can immediately see which students are correct, then can tell everyone the correct answer. The students think it is fun, because it's kind of like a game to them. They want to pay attention to the reading and discussion, because they don't want to have the wrong answer on their board. If you want to see the boards, here's the link for Office Depot: http://www.officedepot.com/ddSKU.do?level=SK&id=439751&Ntt=026426900977&uniqueSearchFlag=true&An=text
For tough answers, I do a "think aloud" telling the students how I would find the answer by looking for key words in the question, headings, subheadings, vocab words, etc. Sometimes I have to go so far as to tell them what page and paragraph, but I try to avoid that. Let me know if you try it in your room and how it works :)

No comments: